Billinge church

Address: Billinge, 24195 Billinge Show map

Address: Billinge, 24195 Billinge

Billinge Church was consecrated in 1865 and replaced a medieval church. The architect was domkyrkoarkitekten Helgo Zettervall.

Billinge Church was consecrated in August 1865. It is built of 130 000 brick stones after drawings made by Helgo Zettervall, a well-known architect. Above the entrance is an inscription from 1864 which reads “A rainy summer and an early winter delayed the building of this church”. The old church was pulled down in 1863 and 1864. It stood where the new church now stands. Remnants of the doorways and pillars from the old church have been used in the new building. The baptismal font from the 12th or
13th century and the baptismal plate from the 16th century are still used. The church bells are from 1750 and 1792.
The windows in the chancel depict the crucifixion and the twelve apostles. Each one of the apostles has his attribute; Peter has the keys to Heaven, and doubting Thomas has a setsquare, which makes it possible for him to check everything. The paintings were made by Hugo Gehlin in 1933 and 1952.

Show more

About this activity

 
 
 
Copyright © 2017 MittSkåne Turism, All rights reserved | design Unik Grafik